A Couple Fantastic Burger Recipes from Carnival!
Guy Fieri’s The Ringer
- 5 oz ground beef (80/20 blend)
- Kosher salt, for seasoning
- 1/2 ounce cheese sauce (e.g. “Kraft), in a ball
- 1 oz slice of American cheddar cheese
- 1/2 oz thin sliced sweet onion
- 1 ½ oz finely shaved iceberg lettuce
- 3 paper-thin slices kosher dill pickle
- 1 thin slice beefsteak tomato
- 2 tablespoons “Donkey” sauce (recipe below)
- 1 large crispy onion ring
- 1 tablespoon Guy Fieri Bourbon Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce, available in stores
- 1 soft hamburger bun, split in half
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic paste
DONKEY SAUCE (yields 1 cup):
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic
- 1 teaspoon regular yellow mustard
- 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 pinches ground black pepper.
- Form the ground beef into a tight ball. Heat a flat-top grill or cast iron pan over very high heat. Season hamburger “ball” with salt. Place hamburger ball on grill to sear for 45 seconds, then flatten with a heavy spatula to approx 1/3 inch thickness.
- Cook for 1 1/2 minutes to develop a crust on the first side. Flip over and cook for 1 more minute on the second side to develop a crust. Add cheese sauce to the top of the hamburger and top with the slice of cheese. Place a dome lid over the top of the burger and squirt a small amount of water under dome to steam and melt the cheese. Cook for 30 sec under the dome – cheese should be melted.
- Combine garlic and melted butter. Brush inside of bun halves with mixture and toast on the flat-top for 3-4 seconds until golden and crisp. Flip and toast for 3-4 seconds so the outsides are also lightly toasted.
- Prepare Donkey Sauce: combine ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
- Smear “Donkey” sauce on cut-side of both bun halves. Layer base with pickle slices and Cheeseburger patty. Top with crispy onion ring, BBQ Sauce, sliced onions, tomato, lettuce then place the top half of the bun on top.
Jamaican Jerk Turkey Burger with Pineapple Salsa
- 1 and 1/2 cups diced pineapple
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon Jamaican jerk seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- coconut oil, as needed
- For serving: whole wheat buns, sliced red onion, lettuce, etc.
- In a bowl, stir together the pineapple, bell pepper, red onion, lime zest and juice, and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Combine the ground turkey and jerk seasoning, mixing just until combined. Be careful not to over-mix, or the meat can become tough. Divide the turkey into four portions and shape into patties. Season with salt and pepper.
- To cook the burgers on a grill, lay a sheet of aluminum foil greased with coconut oil over the grill grates in case the burgers crumble a little. Place the burgers onto the foil and cook over high heat until golden brown on one side. Flip the burgers, cook until browned on the other side. Reduce heat to medium and close the grill cover, cooking until the meat is fully cooked through and no longer pink.
- To cook the burgers in a pan, heat a thin layer of coconut oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the burgers and cook until golden brown on one side. Flip the burgers, cook until browned on the other side. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan, and cook 5-6 more minutes, until the meat is fully cooked through and no longer pink.
- Serve burgers with the salsa and on buns if desired. Enjoy!